Pages

Friday 23 March 2018

Auckland Eruption

When I woke up in the morning I heard a giant rumbling sound so I walked outside to investigate what was happening. When I stepped outside I saw black smoke and the faces of frightened people then I noticed where they were looking I turned around to see a giant newly formed volcano this was caused by the hot spot beneath New Zealand.

What causes the hot spot is the outer core underneath the earths crust it heats up the mantle and that causes a thermal plume. I was so scared I had goosebumps all over my body, the ginormous volcano was spewing out red hot lava,steam and ash that could make you choke.

I tried to run for help but to no avail then before I knew it I died - or so it seemed! I woke up in the emergency department in the Auckland hospital; many people there were either injured or dead. Just then I saw my family arrive and walk around my bed take a seat and then pray for me to get better after 2 years I made a full recovery and since my family were over seas when the volcano erupted they were fine as well. The end.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tua, here's your point score!
    You correctly used (for 3 points each):
    hotspot
    outer core
    mantle
    thermal plume
    lava
    steam
    ash

    I really liked how you described the sound as a 'rumbling,' that you 'investigated' instead of 'looked' and that the volcano was 'spewing.' Also that you described how scared you were by saying you had 'goosebumps all over [your] body.' They made your writing so much more interesting to read; 2 points extra for each of those.

    You didn't lose any points for sentences not making sense or for forgetting any capital letters at the start of sentences. However, a hotspot is only under Auckland (not all of New Zealand) - the rest of our volcanoes are caused by subduction of tectonic plates rather than a hotspot away from the edge of a plate.

    So your total score was 27!

    I liked that your explanation of a hotspot started all the way from the outer cored heating the mantle and causing a thermal plume; you could have slipped in some more volcanic vocabulary by describing the rock at the bottom of the crust being melted into magma and then building up pressure as it forces its way up to the surface, and caused the eruption and situation you've described!

    Thanks for sharing your story :) I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops sorry, 29, you also correctly used the word crust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tua
    If you are too close to a new volcano, which part will get you? The lava? The ash? The smoke? What should people worry about the most?
    Miss Ferguson

    ReplyDelete